Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spank Rock and Hip Hop




Honestly, I think Spank Rock is probably the only exciting or good thing I can even think of that's happening in hip hop right now. And even that is a few years old and I think these dudes are currently about to do some weird disco shit. A-Trak just put out a house mix and it's terrible of course. The dirty south dance one he did was pretty good but pretty much on the edge of being corny, and not funny corny, stupid chills corny. With this new mix dude is in full on club/rave/house miami party mode. But I digress. There isn't one thing I can name in hip hop lately that is even remotely good. The new Doom album is okay but definitely not amazing. Ghostface did some okay stuff a year or so ago but other than that it's just terrible out there. Maybe hi-hop is going through what Rock went through in the 80's, like a super cheesy glam phase. Maybe it will come full circle at some point and there will be a renaissance like there is in rock music right now. It sucks because I want to like hip hop but it's impossible right now, except for really old stuff. Am I supposed to be hyped about the new Slim Thug album? It's fuckin awful. And little wayne, don't even get me started. I just want to know, what happened to hip hop? Maybe it's like Punk and it will be dead forever. But i really hope not, there's only so many times I can listen to illmatic.

I think this all comes back to one thing though and it's the same thing that ruined rock in the 80's. Too much coke, and this time ecstasy too. Maybe if people get back to smoking blunts instead shit will get good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment